Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Day 1: Reverb10 - One Word

I just read about the Reverb10 challenge on my best friend's blog Living a Brighter Life.  It's an opportunity to reflect on the past year and look forward to the coming one, and to share your story along the way.  Sounds good to me! You can read more about it and learn how to participate.
Tonight, on our way home from the ranch, I was talking to my husband about what makes some people more capable of accomplishing goals than others.  Our conversation was actually related to sports, and the ability to commit without apprehension.  My husband pointed out something to me that I know, but never really thought about; when I haven't done something in a while, I'm always scared to try it again, even if my experience was nothing but amazing the first, second, third,...time around.  I don't know what about my chemistry, biology, psychology leads me to sabotage myself with worry for no logical reason, and even though I feel like I've been able to overcome enough that I don't feel like my life is hindered, I want to be even better! 

I mean, I'm going to be a mom!  I want to set a good example for our little boy. I want to be confident in myself and be one of those people who DOES THINGS.

So, I'm going to try this reverb10 thing and see if I can discover my confidence.  The first prompt is:

December 1 One Word.
Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?
(Author: Gwen Bell)

My word for 2010 is Aspire.  I chose this word because I had so many (kind-of-fanciful) ideas of what I wanted to do;  I wanted to grow my craft business, try a new career, canter my horse, start a family, buy a house and renovate it!  I've been fairly successful with many of the things I wanted to do, but I've held back on many as well because I'm scared to move forward.  

That's why my word for 2011 is Confidence.  During pregnancy (and I'm sure for some time after), I've had to take a break from a many of activities and I've found myself looking to the future as if I'm not going to be able to do those things again, especially the things I loved to do before.  This coming year, I'd like to find the confidence to take on my aspirations with less apprehension and less self doubt.

Okay, there's Day 1.  We'll see how this goes!




2 comments:

  1. Love your words! You have totally aspired and met so many of your goals for last year!

    I can totally relate to the being scared to try new things (obviously!). I really need to work on having the confidence to set goals and do things to achieve them. Too bad I'm so analytical I have a hard time finalizing the goals I want to strive for!

    I guess blogging and becoming blogger friends with some of the people I've been stalking for years is a good goal to start with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! I think this is great for both of us!

    ReplyDelete